Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Politics -- Its all about Money!!!

With more than 700 million voters, India is the world’s largest democracy. However, it is far from being an ideal democracy.

Today, GHMC Elections were held (Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation); a holiday for many. I was having my weekly off. 
One of the political leader (contestant in GHMC) is near to my place and hence, there was much "Khalbali" around. From the past one week or more, there was this great fuss of campaigning. Increasingly, campaigns are becoming more like full-fledged entertainment events. Folk dances, songs and folk rhythms are drawing huge numbers to the campaigns. But, we have suffered through a lot of irritating noise pollution from the double storied digital sound systems the whole week. I have personally never been much interested in politics and I wonder, how does this campaigning add value to people at large? But, its making huge impact on the crowds who never ever think about the proportion of money poured in to organise these campaigns. I'm sure the money spent on such things can make a village become self- sufficient in its water and food needs at least.

Coming back to the E-Day, the street was comparatively quite silent. The past few days, the Telangana songs of begging for vote were intolerable. I was busy in having my breakfast @ 11. am. Someone knocked the door... "Sowjanya, Aunty here", a voice came from outside. "Oh, Namaste Aunty", I welcomed. "So, are you going to vote today?", She inquired with a beautiful smile. Hesitatingly and a bit with shame, I said "No, I don't have voter ID for Hyderabad. I have it for Delhi....". "Actually i didnt get much time to register for that", I started explaining; trying to show that I am a good citizen and I know my duties, but I'm too busy for these duties. She said "No Problem, I came for that only. You can vote without a voter ID. Do vote for Mr.X of our colony. Everything will be taken care". I was shocked and exclaimed "You mean a False vote????". She said, "Yes, dear! and that won't be a problem, Many are doing that and I will accompany you. Many others who are not having voter's ID will go". I said "No, I'm not interested in doing so", with a firm voice this time. She went off with an angry face saying " It's not a compulsion, Your wish! I just thought you'll be happy to vote. Many girls and boys of your age are voting". She didn't say that some of them are being paid to vote, which I sensed.

I just wonder how many such false bogus votes have reached the ballot box! Today's politics is all about division on the basis of caste, religion and most importantly Money & advertising their brand, the symbol of their party! To achieve this new definition of politics, political parties have started appointing advertising companies to do their brand-building exercise. It is the job of advertising agencies to 'brand' parties and make pitches for them which are worth crores of rupees. Thousands of SMSes are being circulated, asking individual voters to register. The money velocity is so high that it is impossible for an ordinary citizen to even try and understand it. Where is the transparency and accountability of the Indian political system, starting from the grass root level to local level going up to state and national level???


The thoughts kind of disappointed me and it happens every time we see crime, corruption and any such negative thing. What the common people merely could do is "Stay away from it and Play safe". And, as they say "It's easier to wear a slipper than to carpet the whole earth"


5 comments:

  1. Well i wonder the height of corruption at the higer level...sometime i really think why our votes are being called precious when it have a price tag.well described in few words only one small part of our corrupted enviroment. But can u really imagine that in the ballet box what would be the % of false vote. but i appreciate ur denial for false vote, though u havent proved to be a responsible citizen as u didnt care to register urself but u righty proved more than a responsible citizen by dening for false vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahhhhh sowji to saamaj ki devi!!! but u shd hv gone to vote n given dat money 2 me (Jk). but i really wanna meet dat aunty who in her age is encouraging youngsters to cast false vote..uska number mujhe dede...yaha se police ko call karungi n kisiko shaque bhi nahi hoga.....mindblowing idea..hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way mahiii way...thats the way india is selecting there leaders so nothing to amaze for this isilye toh koi aacha Neta bacha hee nai hai...aur jaha tak baat hai ja kar Vote karne aur paisa lene kee toh koi kaharbi nai hai kar doo kisika bhala hoga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Politicians could do with a leaf out of Anil Kapoor's Role from "Nayak" movie. Forget Politicians, Janta is also smart. U know wot my friend did during elections when some party approached them, they(my friend & his friends) demanded Cricket kit and other items and whoa!!! they got it with some bogus letter explaining themselves as chairman, secretary of some group and having some purpose. can u believe it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. great one... lookin fwd to see a blog frm u... :)

    ReplyDelete

Navigating Disappointments with Grace and Gratitude

As appraisal cycle results approach, it's natural for some individuals to feel a sense of unfairness or disappointment, especially if th...