Sunday, April 4, 2010

From Letters to Scraps

When is the last time you saw post man coming in a bicycle with a bag of letters??? For me, it is perhaps when I was in 9th standard or so.... 
To open the envelope from family members or friends, replying, and knowing that they will take time to write back to you was a great feeling. I remember how we used to make  greeting cards on special occasions for friends and spent hours in making them look the best. There is something special in the golden ribbon boundary of the cards, the smell of Fevicol, Blue ink and hand writing in personal letters and cards. I have saved a treasure of such Hand written letters and Hand-made cards and I love to see them, adore them even today.
Now-a-days, people don't much prefer to write. Whether personal or business related, people pick up a phone before they pick up a pen . Then again, I cant blame anyone, for I haven't written anything with a pen, for some months, except just the odd signature here or there. I get e-mails now, infact, I am getting more than my share of emails, and reading them, though gives me a lot of happiness , but still is no match to the hand written stuff. No one no more addresses anyone with "Dear ....", "Dearest and Nearest", "Respected", etc.. Emails begin with "Hi" and end with "Cheers"! Thanks to social sites like orkut and facebook, we have stopped the minimum formalities. We directly say "Wassup??" :)
The intimacy and the feelings with which people used to write letters seems to be lost. I wonder when I think about the past, when there was no mode of communication through technology, not even postal service. People had to wait for a pigeon to send  and receive letters. Remember "Kabutar ja ja" of "Maine pyar kiya". When you see it now,  it looks quite humorous... isn't it? But I salute to the patience that our earlier generations had.

No one in our generation wants to wait. We need everything instant: instant coffee, instant recipes, instant messaging and 2 minutes Maggi Noodles. :)
Give a break to the instant things, once in a while... Take time to write to your loved ones. Let your pen touch the crisp white paper and write your feelings out. It will be a nice experience...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. 
— Ferris Bueller

10 comments:

  1. "Chitti aayi hai aayi hai chitti aayi hai..Bade dino k baad..hum bewano ko yaad..." haha very well written. Jst remembered this song after reading ur blog.ab se tujhe tere b'day parr hath ka banaya hua greeting card jarur dungi :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right.. It reminds me the old days where I used to spend 10 to 15 days to prepare greeting cards for New Year.

    Thanks for the good blog!


    Cheers,
    Sree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send me your postal address...I would like to comment.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you live without your cell phone or laptop just for a day.
    well woh kehte hai na "kuch paane ke liye kuch khona padta hai"

    ReplyDelete
  5. @siri - Thank you... Very sweet of you.. I still have the card that you sent me when i first came to Hyd. It was a pleasant day and the Best gift...

    @Sree- Thanks for your comment

    @SadiQ - Hehe . Very funny. I told you your humour hits the chord... Still waiting for your blog..

    @Pravin bhaiyya- No, I dont think I can live without Lappy and Phone, which was once a luxury for me...
    I'm not against Technology. I just want myself to realize the beauty of nature once in a while... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm..letter writting is very intereting..we knw this becoz we used to had a subject in "english"..other than this we never experienced the joy of writting to a friend..eagerly waiting for this reply..very eagerly opening the reply to know what is encrypted in that..Nice feel..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew the real beauty of lovely words, when I was in 5th standard, I started writing letters to my grandmom. Few words make them feel very happy, only through words, we can stolen others loving heart. & I used wait for reply also, in that waiting lovely sweetness is there, I enjoyed that sweetness….

    I used to spend many hours for greeting cards selection…..

    Do u know sowjee, “Now I kept safely 20 years back greeting cards” Whenever I saw that cards, it reminds me the sweet old days……

    Thank you very much sowjee, U raised our inner feelings.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is helpful, nonetheless it can be crucial so that you can check out the following website: Best Power XL Air Fryer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing... Read more

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , livram flori cluj

    ReplyDelete

Navigating Disappointments with Grace and Gratitude

As appraisal cycle results approach, it's natural for some individuals to feel a sense of unfairness or disappointment, especially if th...