Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Waiting - Live Laugh Love

Recently watched this heartwrenching, thought provoking movie - Waiting. It's a story of an old man (Naseeruddin shah) and a young woman (Kalki Koechin) connected by  the same tragedy - spouse being in coma, And, how they support each other in accepting the loss. The movie raises some important questions about love life and letting go. You may want to place it in your must-watch list.

I felt instantly connected with this movie. I could visualise my grand parents in Naseer and Suhasini's role. This made it even more emotional for me.

My grandmother suffered from a brain stroke last year and has been bed-ridden, in semi-coma state since then.  It's been around 15 months. I say semi-coma because she still has sleep cycles. She is on liquid diet. She looks at people, blinks her eyes. When I met her around 6 months back, I could sense that she could listen to people around, but is not able to reciprocate. Her left brain injuries have lead to paralysis on her right side of the body and complete loss of facial expressions. Imagine yourself lying on bed. You cannot move on your own. All you can see is as much you can roll your eyes. Plus at 70plus age your eye sight is weak. Life gets cornered in a rectangular cot.

Now imagine yourself as the caretaker. You have to keep taking care waiting for something to happen. You don't even know if she listens to you and understands. How long could one wait for a response? How long could one deal with the uncertainty of life? My grandfather has been dealing with this trauma day in and day out. He feeds her with unconditional love, swinging between hope and despair. 

That's my grandfather with my grandmother - Eternal love story. I remember how they understood each other without having the need to sometimes even talk. They have loved, laughed and lived with and for each other and now life has come to a long pause! 


He wrote this and kept it in a book, which my mom secretly read and shared with me. It was an emotional read and I treasure it. I saved it in my favourite pics. Today I am sharing with you all. 

He is quite a poet, isn't he? Below is the text:
I cannot say and will not say that she is dead. She is just away with a cheery smile and wave of hand, she has wandered into an unknown land
And left me dreaming how very fair it must be since she lingers there.
Think of her faring on, as dear, in the love of there as love of here.
Think of her still as the same... 
I say.. She is not dead. She is just away.
She has only gone a little ahead, to fashion a home for me.
There will be curtains blowing
And books,as there used to be;
Pictures, a desk and a table fare, 
where friends shall love to come...
She has only gone on as a mother would to make me a new home
She has only gone as others have who vanished from our sight.
others whose lives with ours were wed till that mysterious flight.
None shall declare her death to me,
my loneliness deplore- oh it is like her to go ahead to open the new door.
She has gone only a little ahead, to find me the loveliest place
O darling! now it is clear to me, you have only gone ahead.

On my grandfather's birthday today, I dedicate this post to my beloved grand parents and salute them for everything they have done in their lives and for creating a legacy of love which will last for generations to come.

2 comments:

  1. Sowji...i have had the greatest regard for your grandpa, for the person he is, and all that i have heard of him. But this blog on him makes me speechless..Apart from his unconditional love, it also reflects his faith in life and in the good,that which is the easiest to lose in moments of despair. Such are the men who hold the earth in its place where all seems to be falling apart..such are the men who shine upon the hearts of and spread love all around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More heart squeezing experience to my satyam annayya than my serial experiences.I got chance of seeing my vadina now which revoked my rememberances of her affectionate feedings when I visited them at RJY.I I see her at least once at least in her COMA. Maruthi Vulapalli.

    ReplyDelete

Navigating Disappointments with Grace and Gratitude

As appraisal cycle results approach, it's natural for some individuals to feel a sense of unfairness or disappointment, especially if th...